tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Hills" <...@netpaver.com.au>
Subject Re: Mark certain contexts inactive?
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 00:59:25 GMT
Hi Scott,

On 6 Oct 2005 at 13:43, Scott Purcell wrote:

> On my development machine, I have created quite a few "contexts" or webapp instances,
and due to that fact, the startup time is increasing. I do not want to remove any of the contexts
as they all mean something to me, but I would like to be able to "mark" them so they do not
start up. And then be able to turn them on when needed.

> Is there a clean way of doing this?

Not sure that you can do much at the Context level, but have you
looked at the "deployOnStartup" attribute of the Host element in your
server.xml file?  As I understand it, if that is set to false, it will prevent a
Host from being deployed until the server receives a request for that
application.

I usually create a new Host for each web application rather than adding
contexts under the default host.  The only functionality I lose this way is
automated deployment of a _new_ application, but the benefits
outweigh that loss for me.  One benefit is the ability to stop an
application from loading up on startup.

HTH,

Rob Hills
Western Australia