tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Getting tomcat instance information into webapp
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 13:18:37 GMT
Thanks for the suggestions, Kyle!  I think either one of those
suggestions would be workable; I'll have to do some reading and testing
to see which I like better.  The only reason I wanted them to run on
different ports is so that I don't have to change the url's they connect
to during this server migration.  The only mandatory difference between
the apps is the different back-end databases.

I think I've got enough to work with now; thanks again.

Kyle wrote:

> David Kerber wrote:
>

>> Then how do I isolate the instances of tomcat (and their respective
>> server.xml's?  Do I need multiple installations of tomcat on my disk?
>>
> Start each 'instance' of tomcat with separate CATALINA_BASE env. vars.
> This enables a different server.xml for each instance thereby allowing a
> different connector port for each instance. As for the webapp, you can
> still re-use the same code via the docBase and appBase variables by
> specifiying absolute paths. (read RUNNING.TXT with your install)
>
> Does that work?
>
> Alternatively, IF you can use the scenario where the users are
> connecting to the same app, but under different sub-directories of your
> domain, e.g.;
>
> www.example.com/appA
> www.example.com/appB
> www.example.com/appC
>
> Then, you can still have different contexts and/or realms (if
> necessary). But in this scenario, you wouldn't need multiple instances
> running on different ports would you? Just the one instance listening on
> the one port, with TC (as far as TC is concerned) serving up different
> webapps which all happen to point to the same absolute docBase/appBase,
> just with different jdbc connection params in their respective contexts
> connecting them to their relevant database. Surely, that's an acceptable
> solution if the only difference in your scenario is to have them
> connecting on different ports. This way there are also less ports open
> if in a secure environment.
>

> USUAL DISCLAIMER: etc. etc. etc. i.e. I may not have the faintest idea
> of what I'm talking about and everything written above should be taken
> with a pinch of salt until proven to work AND perform in your environment.

You don't claim to be an expert, but you definitely know more of what
you're talking about than I do, and I appreciate the time you've taken
to help me out.

Dave