tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Wingfield <jon.wingfi...@mkodo.com>
Subject Re: FAQ? shutdown.bat not killing java process on Windows
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 10:39:22 GMT
Yep. It's a FAQ, but not in the FAQ.

Tomcat not quitting generally means your webapp has started a non-daemon
thread which does not exit when the webapp is destroyed. If so, shut
them down in a ServletContextListener.

If you aren't explicitly creating threads in your webapp then the usual
culprits are database connections that haven't been closed (or any other
client api to remote services that uses asynchronous messaging and/or
keepalive semantics).

To see a dump of the threads still active after you've run shutdown.bat
do a CTRL-BREAK in the tomcat dos console.

HTH,

Jon