tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Getting tomcat instance information into webapp
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:39:51 GMT
Kyle wrote:

> I may be misunderstanding the question, but it seems to me that this
> shouldn't really be an issue.

It's more likely that I don't know enought about tomcat to ask an
intelligent question!

> You have multiple instances of tamcat running. This means you will
> have multiple server.xml's (meaning multiple "Engine"s in which you
> can set up your multiple realms and direct each different realm to
> whichever db you want to direct it to. As server.xml is unique (in
> std. format config.) to a tomcat instance, you have complete control
> over which port-instance looks at which db.

Then how do I isolate the instances of tomcat (and their respective
server.xml's?  Do I need multiple installations of tomcat on my disk?

> Again, because you have multiple instances, you will (should) have
> multiple contexts/context.xml's (dependent upon your tomcat version)
> in which you can set up your jdbc resources and the various connect
> criteria for the different db's.

Ok, I didn't know that.  Right now, my jdbc connection criteria is
hard-coded in the application (I didn't write it; just inherited it).
It is set up to look for a specific ODBC DSN.  I can easily change the
app to look for a configurable DSN, but don't know how to get that
config info into the application.

> I may be mistaken, but if the app. is written correctly _and_  the
> different resources in the different contexts are all set up with the
> same names, you could even then get away with just having the one
> context root/appbase with the one jdbcURL context-param in web.xml. In
> this way, the same code would hit and serve up the different data
> dependent upon which port-instance of tomcat it was hitting.

I'll have to do some more careful reading about my context and
server.xml entries.

> DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this and I'm no tomcat expert, but I
> personally, at my lvl of expertise, am unaware of any reason why this
> wouldn't work.
>
> Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will jump in and correct me if
> I'm way off base.
>
> K.

Thanks for the response!

Dave