tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leon Rosenberg <rosenberg.l...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Debugging Tomcat hangs
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:20:04 GMT
can you port your application to linux where kill -quit given you
complete stacktrace? Unfortunately I don't know how to create full
stack trace under windows, but you'd need it definitely.

Have you tried the manager? It could show you the
servlets/actions/whatever which hangs. Probably you have a deadlock
somewhere, and you are running out of threads. Have you examined the
load on the machine?

leon

On 10/18/05, David Boyer <david@bvu.edu> wrote:
> We're running Tomcat 5.0.28 with JDK 1.4.2_8 hosting a single commercial web application
on our web server which uses MySQL 4.0.26 running on another server. Both servers are Windows
2003 Enterprise, 2x3.0GHz XEON, 4GB RAM. Our Tomcat instance is dedicated to the commercial
web app, and the MySQL instance is hosting only that app's database.

> The web application is hanging every few days, and neither we nor the vendor can figure
out why. Restarting Tomcat is the only way to fix it. We've tried all of the current stable
versions of both MySQL and Tomcat, as well as JDK 5 (with Tomcat 5.5.x). The problem happens
under each of them.

> I'm highly confident the problem is with the commercial web app; we have other web applications
running under other Tomcat instances on the same server going against a variety of MySQL and
MSSQL databases on our database server, and none of them have any problems.

> If I generate a dump of the JVM using Ctrl-Break while running Tomcat as a console app,
what's the best resource for interpreting this? I suspect the problem is a thread deadlock,
or something similar.