tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Matthew Clark" <matthew.cl...@despatch.net>
Subject RE: Systems Architecture Pros and Cons
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:40:50 GMT
> Hi All,
>
> I was discussing with someone two common system architectures for a
web
> application environment and thought I'd extend it to the Tomcat
> community to see their views / thoughts.
>
> If we consider that there are 5 servers available, what is the best
way
> to utilise them assuming that both Apache and Tomcat are used -
>
> Option 1: all 5 servers run both Apache and Tomcat and requests are
> load-balanced across them.
>    Pro: - avoids the ~50ms delay of sending over network
>         - resource allocation is more dynamic
>
> Option 2: 2 servers running Apache passing through to 3 running
Tomcat.
>    Pro: - enhanced security due to tiers

It will depend a great deal on the nature of your application and how
many end users you think you may have.  Also, how will you manage your
storage/database (internal to the 5 boxes, external array, two extra
boxes on fail-over etc)?  Is your application read heavy or write heavy?

Also, will your users be connecting securely using SSL/TLS & what type
of load balancer will you use out the front (and will it have SSL
accelerators)?

If Tomcat and your firewalls (obviously you have firewalls!) are
configured correctly, I don't really see a great deal of enhanced
security offered in option 2.

Matthew

This message has been scanned for viruses.