tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Christoph P. Kukulies" <k...@kukulies.org>
Subject Re: Windows, Runtime.exec() problems [solved]
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:09:16 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 08:39:16AM +0200, David Teran wrote:
> Well, it was not tomcat, the problem was starting tomcat as windows
> service, then the process invoked by exec cannot use OLE Automation.

This reminds me of the situation when I wrote a service that
was supposed to interact with the desktop (which is not normally the
case with many services). The service then cannot spawn
subprocesses of a certain kind unless it is created with the
flag SERVICE_INTERACTIVE_PROCESS.

schService = CreateService(
        schSCManager,               // SCManager database
        TEXT(SZSERVICENAME),        // name of service
        TEXT(SZSERVICEDISPLAYNAME), // name to display
        SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS,         // desired access
        SERVICE_INTERACTIVE_PROCESS|SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS,  // service type
        SERVICE_DEMAND_START,       // start type
        SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL,       // error control type
        szPath,			// service's binary
        NULL,			// no load ordering group
        NULL,			// no tag identifier
        TEXT(SZDEPENDENCIES),       // dependencies
        NULL,                       // LocalSystem account
        NULL);                      // no password

I could not find the location where Tomcat installs itself as a service.
It must be somewhere deep down in
apache-tomcat-5.5.12-src\jakarta-tomcat-catalina\catalina\src\share\org\apache\
catalina\

and it probably uses some java class of the apache OS interface (Win32
in that case) which in turn is burried in the apache dource tree.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_kukulies.org