tomcat-users mailing list archives

From brown wrap <gra...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Newbie Installation Question
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:05:16 GMT
OK, I downloaded the binary. My error is different,
but it still does not start up:

[groot@coda logs]# more catalina.out
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
        at
java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
        at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
        at
java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:202)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:390)

--- Mark Eggers <its_toasted@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tomcat comes as a binary.  Just download the binary
> distribution.  See:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi#5.5.12
>
> On linux, I normally create a special user for
> Tomcat
> and make it a mamber of the same group that the user
> that runs Apache is under.  This is www for Fedora
> Core 4.
>
> I usually install Java under /opt or /usr, and then
> link the current Java version to /opt/java or
> /usr/java.  I then put /opt/java/bin or
> /usr/java/bin
> the path BEFORE /usr/bin, since Fedora Core 4
> installs
> GNU's Java.  This is not a bad thing, but setting up
> the path in /etc/profile is a good thing.
>
> Just a few thoughts.  I hope this gets you started.
>
> /mde/
>
> --- brown wrap <gramos@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I had been trying to avoid actually building
> Tomcat,
> > was trying to use a Linux binary.

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> users-help@tomcat.apache.org