tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <>
Subject RE: Newbie Installation Question
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:47:10 GMT
Tomcat comes as a binary.  Just download the binary
distribution.  See:

On linux, I normally create a special user for Tomcat
and make it a mamber of the same group that the user
that runs Apache is under.  This is www for Fedora
Core 4.

I usually install Java under /opt or /usr, and then
link the current Java version to /opt/java or
/usr/java.  I then put /opt/java/bin or /usr/java/bin
the path BEFORE /usr/bin, since Fedora Core 4 installs
GNU's Java.  This is not a bad thing, but setting up
the path in /etc/profile is a good thing.

Just a few thoughts.  I hope this gets you started.

--- brown wrap <> wrote:

> I had been trying to avoid actually building Tomcat,
> was trying to use a Linux binary.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message