tomcat-users mailing list archives

From andy gordon <efha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: where is "catalina.out" defined and enabled?
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2005 13:34:08 GMT
Philip,

Great Question! Go look at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

This should help. The Tomcat folks have implemented log4j which you can use to redirect the
output from the CMD window to a log file. Give this a try. Its easy to set up. There may be
others ways to accomplish this but I think this will work for you.

- andy

Philip Chang <philipchang@hotmail.com> wrote:

My Tomcat 5.0.28 running on Windows 2000 Pro is not dumping to
$CATALINA_HOME\logs\catalina.out at all.

$CATALINA_HOME\conf\server.xml contains the following, but no reference to
catalina.out:

prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"
timestamp="true"/>

directory="logs" prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
timestamp="true"/>

Tomcat is dumping out some traces to the above two files, but the traces
that Tomcat dumps to console/stdout/Windows Command Prompt are not dumped to
"catalina.out" or any other file at all.

How do I tell Tomcat to dump the traces to console/stdout to also dump to
file "catalina.out"?

Thanks for all pointers!
Philip