tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Artur Brinkmann" <artur.brinkm...@draeger-iss.com>
Subject Re: JspC exception with log4j in WEB-INF/lib
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:47:09 GMT
> But as soon as I put log4j-1.2.9.jar into my WEB-INF/lib directory, it
> doesn't work any more. I get the following exception:
>
>  [jasper2] java.lang.NullPointerException
>  [jasper2]     at
> org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.createCompiler(JspCompilationContext.java:220)

After building a version of Tomcat which logs the exception that happens
when trying to create the compiler (by default it's caught without logging),
I was able to figure out how to fix it.

Apparently, when log4j-1.2.9.jar is in WEB-INF/lib, it also needs to be in
the ant/lib directory (or somewhere else in the Ant classpath). If it isn't
there, a ClassNotFound exception will be thrown when trying to create the
compiler (either Ant or JDT), but this exception is caught without logging
and later the NullPointer exception happens.

As a side effect, I discovered that the same goes for
jasper-compiler-jdt.jar. The JDT compiler will not be used unless it's in
the Ant classpath.