tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andoni <andonil...@eurokom.ie>
Subject No stack trace?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:52:29 GMT
Hello,

I am currently trying to implement a system which sends me an email if the site ever has an
exception (not that it ever will of course!). To this end I have inserted a simple exception
into my code and when I run the code in Tomcat there is no stack trace! Either in the HTML
of the JSP or in the console! I simply did:

String nullStr = null;
nullStr.trim();

both in a servlet and in a JSP and neither seem to have any effect. Going to other applications
that I am working on at the moment I can cause a stack trace in them no problem.

Under what conditions (if any) will Tomcat swallow the output of an exception (a stack trace)?

Thanks in advance,

Andoni.