tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Artur Brinkmann" <>
Subject JspC exception with log4j in WEB-INF/lib
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:28:53 GMT
I'm trying to use the Jspc ant task to precompile JSP pages. It's almost
working except for one problem. I made a minimal webapp, with the usual
structure, and just one empty JSP file. The task runs fine and compiles the
JSP without problems.

But as soon as I put log4j-1.2.9.jar into my WEB-INF/lib directory, it
doesn't work any more. I get the following exception:

  [jasper2] java.lang.NullPointerException
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.jasper.JspC.processFile(
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.jasper.JspC.execute(
  [jasper2]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2] Error in class org.apache.jasper.JspC

I tried different versions of log4j, without success. Any other jar files
don't bother Jspc, but as soon as I put log4j in WEB-INF/lib, I get this

The funny thing is, WEB-INF/lib isn't even in the classpath of the JspC
task. And if I put log4j in ${tomcat.home}/common/lib (which is in the
classpath), I don't get the exception.

Well, I can't figure it out... anybody know why this could be happening?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message