tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Artur Brinkmann" <artur.brinkm...@draeger-iss.com>
Subject JspC exception with log4j in WEB-INF/lib
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2005 13:28:53 GMT
I'm trying to use the Jspc ant task to precompile JSP pages. It's almost
working except for one problem. I made a minimal webapp, with the usual
structure, and just one empty JSP file. The task runs fine and compiles the
JSP without problems.

But as soon as I put log4j-1.2.9.jar into my WEB-INF/lib directory, it
doesn't work any more. I get the following exception:

  [jasper2] java.lang.NullPointerException
  [jasper2]     at
org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.createCompiler(JspCompilationContext.java:220)
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.jasper.JspC.processFile(JspC.java:849)
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.jasper.JspC.execute(JspC.java:991)
  [jasper2]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at
  [jasper2]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
  [jasper2]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.TaskAdapter.execute(TaskAdapter.java:157)
  [jasper2]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:306)
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:401)
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:338)
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:365)
  [jasper2]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1237)
  [jasper2]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1094)
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:669)
  [jasper2]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:220)
  [jasper2]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:215)
  [jasper2]     at
org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:90)
  [jasper2] Error in class org.apache.jasper.JspC

I tried different versions of log4j, without success. Any other jar files
don't bother Jspc, but as soon as I put log4j in WEB-INF/lib, I get this
exception.

The funny thing is, WEB-INF/lib isn't even in the classpath of the JspC
task. And if I put log4j in ${tomcat.home}/common/lib (which is in the
classpath), I don't get the exception.

Well, I can't figure it out... anybody know why this could be happening?

Thanks.