tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "JWM" <techst...@malcolms.com>
Subject RE: Tracking Datasource Connection Usage?
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2005 00:17:03 GMT
Brian and others,

Good information.  Thanks.  What happens with result sets if they don't get
closed?  Do they live on forever as memory leaks, or do they get cleaned up
by GC when the object referencing them goes out of scope?  If a result set
is left open, does it prevent the connection from getting successfully
closed?

Thx.

JWM

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Cook [mailto:bcook@printtime.com]
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 3:38 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tracking Datasource Connection Usage?

JWM wrote:

Two things you can do here.

    1. Set both "removeAbandoned" and "logAbandoned"  parameters to
true.  This will reclaim most lost connections.  And log a trace of what
code called a connection that was never closed.

     2.  Use a finally block to close all of your Resultsets and
connections.  This will insure they are closed even if your code throws
an exception.

Example :

    ResultSet rs = null;
    Connection con  = null;
try {
}
catch(Exception e) {
}
finally {
    rs.close();
    con.close();
}

>I started getting exceptions saying no connections were available on my
JDBC
>datasource  (org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver).  The pool was definitely large
enough
>to handle the load.  So it appears that I'm not freeing the all the
>connections as I should.  I noticed that I did not have the
>'removeAbandoned' flag set on the Resource tag.  Changing that has
>apparently fixed the out of connections problem.  But I really want to
clean
>up the code and fix it the right way.  I've got the close() statements in
>place.  But obviously, I'm missing some of them somewhere.  Is there any
>process for logging/tracking allocating and freeing connections (and
absence
>thereof.), available connections, etc?  Or are there any methods I can call
>to give me this type of debug info?  What's the recommended way to debug
>this?
>
>Thanks.
>
>JWM

Brian Cook