tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Suspected memory leak in Tomcat or JVM?
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:14:20 GMT
Hi,

we have an elder application running on Tomcat 4.1.27 with Java
1.4.2_08 on Sparc Solaris 8. Recently we moved the application to a
new machine running on Sparc Solaris 9. Since then we have a serious
memory problem and need to restart the same application twice a day.
One minor change: We are now using mod_jk 1.2.14 and no longer
mod_proxy.

As I am unaware of any serious heap profiler that is fast enough for
production use, I decided to try the very simple heap profiler from
http://www.virtualmachine.de/. I made a dump after starting the
application and before shutting down. The results were (to me) quite
surprising: The main difference was in the following numbers:

                         At start                        Before shutdown
                         Objects     Size           Objects     Size
[byte                        5638       6M        160796    569M
[char                  3006402   195M         3211457    418M
ByteChunk                    62       2K           345450      14M
CharChunk                   46       2K           324080       13M

(With ByteChunk and CharChunk being from the
org.apache.tomcat.util.buf package.)

To me, this numbers seem to be related. Any ideas?

Regards,

Jochen

--
Having experienced 7 years of labour/green government, I now know the
reason, why a conservative government is good for the economy: The