tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Oleg <oleg...@gmail.com>
Subject mass virtual hosting with rewrite
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 18:18:50 GMT
I am running Apache 2 with Tomcat 5.5. Both are working fine and hosting
about 200 domain names. The problem is that every time a new domain is added
I have to edit server.xml file and restart tomcat. With Apache I am using
RewriteMap files so I just edit those files and no need to restart it. I
wanted to run it by you guys and see if anyone tried using Rewrite to avoid
setting up virtual hosts in Tomcat server.xml file. Basically have Rewrite
conditions in Apache say"

user1.com <http://user1.com> rewrite to localhost/user1
user25.com <http://user25.com> rewrite to localhost/user25

This way Tomcat doesn't have to be setup with all those virtual domain
names.
Any idea how to do it? Of course I would not want the URL to change in the
browser address bar so the rewrite would have to be internal only.

What do you think?

Thanks
Oleg