tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject [OT] RE: Flexible way of defining application variables in text format?
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:46:50 GMT
Hi,

Just enter your variables into a text file called abc.properties with name/value pairs, e.g

var1=val1
var2=val2

Although these will not automatically appear in application scope. You will need to write
a tiny Servlet that you configure in web.xml, pass the filename as a servlet parameter, and
set the servlet to load-on-startup=1.

In your servlet, retrieve the filename and load the properties into a HashMap. Finally add
it to the servlet context. Your application can now use the map from application scope, and
better still, you can use it in JSTL syntax with $applicationScope.myprops['var1']

There are other ways but this is my recommended way.

Allistair.