tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Azariah Jeyakumar" <azariah.jeyaku...@tumbleweed.com>
Subject Tomcat JVM using 99.9% cpu
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:17:28 GMT
Hi,

Has anyone seen Tomcat JVM using 99.9% cpu when there is no HTTP load at all? The JSP pages
are accessible fine without any loss in functionality, but the machine is sluggish (expectedly,
as the JVM is using all the CPU). If tomcat is restarted, the problem goes away and the CPU
usage returns to normal.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem at will. It has been noticed only twice or so
in the past week, out of hundreds of attempts.

I have seen other posts asking to tweak the settings like socket_* in workers.properties files.
But since I have not been able to reproduce the problem at will, I am hesitant to change the
parameters, not knowing which change will fix the problem.

Thanks for any input or pointers on:
- the nature of the problem that causes this 99.9% CPU usage
- how to reproduce the problem
- what parameters should be set in workers.properties file or elsewhere to avoid this problem
in the future.

I am using Tomcat 5.0.28, Apache 2.x, jk2, Sun JRE 1.4.2_08  on Suse Linux Enterprise Server
(SLES 9 SP2).

Thanks
Azariah