tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Wall <d.w...@computer.org>
Subject Re: session tracking in a context that contains JSP and servlets
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:18:50 GMT
Mark wrote:

>I want to create a webapp that will contain both servlets and JSP.  I
>will be using a login page to authenticate users.  I will probably use
>one of the Tomcat supported authentication modules.
>
>I am wondering if it is possible for tomcat to properly manage session
>information when going between servlet and JSP pages.

Of course.  After all, every JSP is compiled into a servlet.  Naturally,
if the browser supports session cookies, all is very easy, but if they
block such cookies, then you'll need to use URL rewriting for every
reference to an URL within your web app so that the session id can be
transmitted back.  Use response.encodeURL() and
response.encodeRedirectURL() as necessary.

David