tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yair Zohar <y...@ard.huji.ac.il>
Subject Re: Problems with utf-8 encoding - continue
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 07:43:40 GMT

Jilles van Gurp wrote:

> Why aren't you using setContentType("text/html, "utf-8") on the response?

As I use jsp, I don't know how can I control the response that way.

> What content-type is the server actually returning (use the live http
> headers extension for firefox or something similar to find out).

I couldn't find if this extension is installed, or how to install it.
In the page info :

Type: text/html
Encoding: UTF-8

Meta:
Content-Type text/html; charset=UTF-8

> What database and jdbc driver are you using? What method are you using
> to store the string in the database?

I use mysql 4.1.14 + connector 3.1.10
the url for the driver is:
"jdbc:mysql://"+Utils.getServerName()+":3306/"+Utils.getDatabaseName()+"?characterEncoding=UTF-8&characterSetResults=UTF-8"

the tables definitions:
ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

> I've had utf-8 trouble with several databases. For example mysql 4.1 +
> the latest jdbc driver + setCharacterStream had some strange effects.
> First of all you need to tell mysql to use utf-8 (it defaults to
> something else) and even if you do that setCharacterStream has some
> issues that go away if you use setString. Oracle on the other hand
> cannot insert strings larger than 4KB with setString so you need to
> use setCharacterStream. Incidently, the mysql driver implementation of
> setCharacterString is implemented using setString!

I use Statement class executeUpdate(String str) method to update and
executeQuery(String str) to query the database.