tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Yair Zohar <y...@ard.huji.ac.il>
Subject Problems with utf-8 encoding
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:58:49 GMT

Hello,
I'm using Tomcat 4.1.18
I'm trying to read hebrew data in utf-8 encoding from the database. As a
check I entered a utf-8 encoded 'alef' letter to the database field.
(I see it in the database as one letter 'alef'). The jsp page that
displays the data, prints two chars instead of one. I checked the values
of these chars and
they are 215 114, which are the utf-8 combination to create the letter
'alef'  (so I was told).

jps code:

<%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8"
pageEncoding="UTF-8" info="Tables Handler" import="tablesHandler.*" %>

<jsp:useBean id="tables" scope="page" class="tablesHandler.TableViewer" />
<jsp:setProperty name="tables" property="*"/>

<% request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");%>

<head>
</head>

I tried it in all the combinations of the 'UTF-8' directives.
Does some have an idea how can I tell tomcat to display it as one char
(the letter alef) and not two separated gibrish chars?
Or maybe it's another issue ?
Thanks ahead,
Yair.