tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "t.n.a." <...@sharanet.org>
Subject Re: Redeploy a war host without reboot
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:08:04 GMT
Andrea Bondi wrote:

>Hi to all,
>I've set up Tomcat v. 5.5.9 as the server for the domain
>www.univaperta.it
>This is a virtual host, not the only site in this server. Configuration
>is the following:
>
><Host
>          appBase="webapps/univaperta"
>          name="www.univaperta.it">
>        <Context
>            docBase=""
>            path=""
>            reloadable="true">
>
><WatchedResource>/usr/lib/tomcat/conf/context.xml</WatchedResource>
>          <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>
>
><WatchedResource>/usr/lib/tomcat/conf/context.xml</WatchedResource>
>          <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>
>
><WatchedResource>/usr/lib/tomcat/conf/context.xml</WatchedResource>
>          <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>
>
><WatchedResource>/usr/lib/tomcat/conf/context.xml</WatchedResource>
>          <WatchedResource>WEB-INF/web.xml</WatchedResource>
>        </Context>
></Host>
>
>The site works fine.
>The problem is that I develop this on another computer and deploy as a
>war (univaperta.war). For every update I have to follow this procedure:
>- undeploy the site from tomcat manager
>- restart tomcat
>- deploy the war file
>- restart tomcat
>
>Is there an easier way to do this?

Yes. Probably, anyway. :)
I've never worked with .war so I can't say for sure, but I just copy the
files I changed and touch the web.xml file - that's enought to trigger
an application reload as web.xml is one of the WatchedResources.

Could you try that way and see if tomcat reloads the app, just so we can
eliminate non-war-related problems?

Regards,
Tomislav