tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edmund Urbani <...@liland.org>
Subject Re: getRealPath() returns real path plus context path
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:09:52 GMT
Franz-Josef Herpers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've a problem when using ServletContext#getRealPath() with Tomcat 5.5.9.
>
> My web application resides under the name "tool" in the webapps
> directory. When I call
> servletContext.getRealPath(request.getContextPath() I get the real
> path but always with the context path added at the end. That means a
> path like C:\path\to\tomcat\webapps\tool\tool.
>
> Is there any explanation for this behaviour? Or am I doing something
> wrong?
>
> Thanks for any hints in advance
>
> Regards
> Franz

the getRealPath method simply returns a path inside the webapp's
directory. eg. you can do getRealPath("images/someimg.jpg") and get the
actual filesystem path for that file, so you can access it using
java.io.File and do something with it. getRealPath("/") should give you
the webapp directory itself.
note that you probably should not use this method, if you ever want to
be able to run your webapp directly from a .war file.

 Edmund