tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why does tomcat redirect to welcome files
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:19:08 GMT
Jim Kennedy wrote:
> I have setup Tomcat to use index.html as the only welcome file.  I noticed
> that the engine redirects to index.html.  I'm wondering why that is the
> case.  I would prefer Status: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Not:  Status: HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily

<spec quote section="SRV.9.10">
The container may send the request to the welcome resource with a
forward, a redirect, or a container specific mechanism that is
indistinguishable from a direct request.
</spec-quote>

There is also the issue of security constraints. See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-dev&m=110980317127394&w=2 for a
discussion.