tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Williamson <teamsp...@spikesource.com>
Subject RE: Configuring Apache tomcat
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2005 03:38:52 GMT
> I need help to configure jakarta-tomcat to send a high volume of packet
> sockets trhought a servlet application.
>
> It should send aprox 5000 sockets in a short time
>
> Can someone recommend me a configuration of maxThreads etc,
> at the web.xml file.

I think what you are looking for is an application to excercise your
Tomcat setup.  Try looking at Apache JMeter, which is a good all round
testing tool.

As for the recommendation of settings, this is something that you are
going to have to find out for yourself.  Since your test is to only over
15 minutes, then it should be easy for you to setup a set of benchmarks,
adjusting values each time to observe the 'cause-n-effect'.  The key
thing to this sort of testing, is changing only one variable at a time.

And remember, this is only ever going to be a general performance tune
for that given application.  As soon as you move to another servlet or
JSP page, you will have to start the profiling all over again.

Hope this helps,

alan

--
 Alan Williamson, Technology Evangelist