tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Shapiro" <dshap...@nc.rr.com>
Subject Real basic question - scope
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 11:40:57 GMT
I have a jsp page that uses a class I wrote to connect to a database (mysql)
and pull up some information based on what the user fills in one of three
text boxes.  I understand why if I fill in a text box once and press submit
I get my result, but I do not understand why if I press enter again without
filling in the textbox if brings up the same response again.  In that, if I
type in a user's last name and press enter, I get the user's info.  If I
press enter again, I get the same user's info even though I did not fill in
the text box.  My mysql code opens a connection, fills an rs, displays the
results, and closes the connection.  If I do not have a bean I am calling,
how do I set scope for the page to be for example just request?  Is the
reason I see info even though I did not supply anything in the text box
because of the browser caching stuff, or is it tomcat?  I am just a bit
confused about the whole thing and would appreciate a brief description of
what I am seeing and a good response to it.

Note: jstl is installed.

Sincerely,

David