tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Trond Hersløv <trond.hers...@GOTOGATE.no>
Subject db-connectin is working fine, but is it pooling?
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:06:32 GMT
Hi!
I'm running TC5.5 and MySQL-4.0.20 on two separate Linux boxes.
Trying setting up a DB connection pool, I followed the example found on:
jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

Everything works just fine, but I'm a little bit concerned that maybe I am generating a singel
connection to the DB and not a pool of connections.
As I run  netstat -a on the machine hosting the DB, I expected to find
a lot of connections to port 3306, which my MySQL server listens to, but there is only one
single connection. Even when I press F5 for a long time to refresh my IE window like a 100
times or with more windows open at the same time there is just this one connection to be found.

<Resource name="jdbc/mysql" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
               maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000" minIdle="10"
               username="pool" password="pool"
               driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
               url="jdbc:mysql://172.20.201.92:3306/test"/>

Have I misunderstood the concept of connection pooling?
Where does the magic happened. Nothing hier like a factory or pooling class?
Regards Trond