tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Trond Hersløv <trond.hers...@GOTOGATE.no>
Subject web.xml, <url-pattern>
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:07:37 GMT
Hi! I'm running Tomcat 5.5.9 and I'm struggeling getting the grip of how to work with the deployment
descriptor.
If I do the following (the web.xml below) I can access the TestServlet with:
http://www.mymachine.no/foxer and I get the correct output.

But, if I try using wildcards, eg. <url-pattern>/*foxer</url-pattern it doesent work
anymore. In fact it seems like the astrisk is not interpreted as a wildcard but a normal character.
I can accsses the servlet with http://www.mymachine.no/*foxser.

If I try to map the servlet so that it seems like a jsp-page <url-pattern>/foxer.jsp</url-pattern>,
it doesn't work at all.

In the "Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook" by Bruce W. Perry from O`Reilly I have read what
I know about web.xml, but maybe it has been som changes in how version 5.5.9 works.

In the book I also read that I should be able to access the servlet even if it's not mapped
up in web.xml. http://www.mymachine.no/servlet/foxer Ofcourse this does also not work.

Who can explain how to use the <url-pattern> and maybe tell me where I can find some
documentation on how to configure web.xml

Thanks in advance
Trond

<web-app>
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>foobar</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>com.tdev.test.TestServlet</servlet-class>
    </servlet>

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>foobar</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/foxer</url-pattern>