tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tom Burke" <tom.bu...@expensys.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:14:32 GMT
Mahesh

Thanks for your help.

I think something I don't understand is: what's its root of the virtual
server's appbase?

I have tomcat (5.0.28) installed in "c:\Tomcat 5.0", with the usual set
of directories
within that - bin, common, conf, logs, server, shared, temp, webapps,
work. I don't have a development environment at all. I have applications
installed within webapps, using the defaulthost (localhost) and they
work fine. Here's a sample of my server.xml:

<Engine defaultHost="localhost" name="Catalina">

          <Host appBase="webapps" name="localhost">
suffix=".txt" prefix="localhost_log." timestamp="true"/>
fileDateFormat="yyyy-MM-dd" suffix=".txt"/>
      </Host>

      <Host appBase="webapps/some_host" name="some_host.com">
suffix=".txt" prefix="some_host_log." timestamp="true"/>
fileDateFormat="yyyy-MM-dd" suffix=".txt"/>
      </Host>

suffix=".txt" prefix="catalina_log." timestamp="true"/>
      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"/>
    </Engine>

I've created a directory within webapps called 'some_host' and within
that is a simple jsp, a 'welcome' script. I know that the server, and an
external PC, know (from use of Hosts files) that some_host.com is mapped
to the server's IP address, and I can successfully ping that address.
But I'm not getting the jsp to run! - I just get a 'page unavailable'
response. There are no errors in the startup log so I think it must be
that Tomcat doesn't know where to look for the welcome.jsp, which
suggests that specifying appbase = "webapps/some_host" isn't working.

Tom