tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bruno Georges <>
Subject Re: mod_rewrite for Tomcat 5.5
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:57:20 GMT
Hi david
As Tim pointed out, there are product which does this for you
However, your requierments can be easily covered with a servlet filter.
You just need to ship it with your war and configure it in your deployment descriptor

I have some examples if needed

Best regards
Bruno Georges

Glencore International AG
Tel. +41 41 709 3204
Fax +41 41 709 3000

----- Original Message -----
From: David Wall []
Sent: 29.07.2005 00:48
To: Tomcat Users List <>
Subject: mod_rewrite for Tomcat 5.5

Can anybody recommend anything like mod_rewrite for Tomcat 5.5?  I know
the FAQ says something about "why reinvent the wheel," but in this case,
it's because we want to get rid of Apache just because we need one small
feature.  I've got an application that now only needs Apache httpd for
some mod_rewrites, especially for converting short URLs to longer ones,
such as:

gets rewritten to:

With mod_rewrite, this is something like:

RewriteRule ^/app/a(.*)$$1

In practice, I don't even need the full power of mod_rewrite to rewrite
the domain part, so it would be okay just to map

and keep the "" part the same.  I won't be redirecting
to another server (at least not initially).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:
View raw message