tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Crowther" <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: tomcat base vs. home
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:00:13 GMT
> From: Sternbergh, Cornell [mailto:rsternberg@state.pa.us]
> Is Tomcat home the place tomcat looks for its stuff and Tomcat base
> where it looks for applications?  And then where would the HTML/JSP
> pages go?

Not quite.  HOME is where the Tomcat binaries live.  BASE allows you to
set up an alternative structure of conf/logs/temp/webapps/work so that
you can host multiple Tomcats from the same set of binaries - I use this
to run several Tomcat 5.0.28s.  My batch file is as follows:

set CATALINA_HOME=C:\Progra~1\APACHE~2\TOMCAT~1.0
set CATALINA_BASE=c:\cattery\bodington2
cd %CATALINA_HOME%\bin
start catalina run

Under c:\cattery\bodington2 (one of my Tomcat installations) you'll find
conf, logs, temp, webapps and work, with conf/server.xml and so forth.
So possibly not quite what you want - there's more there than just the
applications.

You might want to investigate the appBase attribute in server.xml,
however.

		- Peter