tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "MC Moisei" <mcmoi...@hotmail.com>
Subject HELP: Tomcat 5.5.9 with jsvc as low priviledges user on Linux fails in Bootstrap
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 01:11:07 GMT
Hi,

I manage to configure my tomcat with jsvc(common-daemon) and everything work
great till I start to launch it as root. If I run it as tomcat user it does
work great. If I try to run it as root from command prompt or from init.d I
get the following exception ( see below )

Right are given as below
chown -R tomcat:tomcat /usr/local/tomcat
chown -R root:root /usr/local/tomcat/bin
chown -R root:root /usr/local/tomcat/common

This is not right - looks like the bootstrap is trying to access the Realm
and there is no write access to the conf/tomcat-users.xml file. I can't
believe the common-daemon not tomcat side didn't say a thing about this, I
bet there are others experiencing the matter.
Do i have to disable Tomcat realms ? It doesn't sounds right. There is no
way I'd give "others" write access on that.

Looking forward to hear from you if you experienced something similar.
Thanks,
MC

Aug 1, 2005 7:23:15 PM org.apache.naming.NamingContext lookup
WARNING: Unexpected exception resolving reference
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/local/tomcat/tomcat_home/conf/tomcat-users.xml.new (Permission denied)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:179)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:131)
	at
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase.save(MemoryUserDatabase.java:462)
	at
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory.getObjectInstance(MemoryUserDatabaseFactory.java:98)
	at
org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:129)
	at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:301)
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:792)
	at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:152)
	at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.createMBeans(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:138)
	at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.createMBeans(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:108)
	at
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.lifecycleEvent(GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener.java:80)
	at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:676)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:537)
	at
	at
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:271)
	at
	at
	at
org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.start(DaemonLoader.java:218)
Aug 1, 2005 7:23:15 PM
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener createMBeans
SEVERE: Exception processing Global JNDI Resources