tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "MC Moisei" <mcmoi...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: can I prevent DoS (Denial of Service) Attacks in JSP?
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:12:21 GMT
I don't is possible because in case of a DoS they first target your web
server by making it busy.
That can be tomcat but can well be apache.

Secondly "they" can attack you from many ip addresses and that would be
pretty harsh, if for example you'd get 1 zillion requests for a larger
file/page and your tomcat will become very busy trying to serve that
page/file.Additional users will experience slow access or even no access at
all.

What you can do, is more like a prevention - just an idea, never implemented
yet - keep tap of access and if you think that one particular ip address or
one resource is hit extremely often then treat that request differenly, a
short(text), polite message will do - you'd serve it differently.
This will not be bullet proof thought, any additional number of requests can
bring you bag at start point...

Maybe load balancing can help, that has nothing to do though with your
application. It's a appserver and hardware configuration.

Hope this will help,
MC
http://www.goodstockimages.com