tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stuart Saunders <stu...@first-episode.co.uk>
Subject Multiple domains accessing one web app.
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:02:56 GMT
Hi list

Our system is designed so that multiple domains can have
independently branded versions of the same  web app.

The situation we are struggling to resolve is this.

We have a two domains accessing one web app on a third domain.

the set up is

domain1.com  resolves to a directory which contains a frameset
referencing www.mydomain.com/webapp/site1

domain2.com  resolves to a directory which contains a frameset
referencing www.mydomain.com/webapp/site2

In this configuration when the user logs on to domain1.com the
session cookie is coming from mydomain.com not domain1.com and is
producing "http error 400" and unless the user sets their browser to
accept all cookies, will not let them log on to the system.

We have tried to set up the host elements in the server.xml so that:

domain1.com  resolves directly to /webapp/site1

and

domain2.com  resolves directly to /webapp/site2

This solves the cookie/login problem but implements a more serious
problem.

If domain1 is accessed first after a server restart it will
communicate on port 12345, which is all fine but if a user then logs
in via domain2 the interface that they use will not  connect to the
server as the port is already used by domain1.

We have very little experience with Tomcat, we have tried all the
usual routes (google, forums , reading the manual etc)

Can anyone suggest a way to solve this?

Regards

Stuart