tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Deploying ROOT.war indicates missing application web.xml
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:19:29 GMT
Hi,

Just to reconfirm, and also to take into account what you did in your test

0. Check server.xml for unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
1. I use Ant's war task to correctly war the web application package.
2. I clear Tomcat's webapps folder and restart for good measure.
3. I copy the war into webapps
4. Tomcat reports

INFO: Deploying web application archive ROOT.war
22-Aug-2005 11:14:02 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig applicationWebConfig
INFO: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[]

5. I rename ROOT.war to ROOT.zip and open in WinZip to check file structure, in particular
web.xml and to ensure that ROOT is not part of packaged paths.
6. I unzip ROOT.zip to webapps\ROOT
7. I make a request to the web application which succeeds including filters defined in the
web.xml
8. Stop Tomcat
9. With WinZip, rezip the tested working ROOT folder contents
10. Delete webapps\ROOT
11. Rename ROOT.zip to ROOT.war
12. Cut ROOT.war onto Desktop.
13. Start Tomcat
14. Cut ROOT.war into webapps
15. Get same error.

INFO: Deploying web application archive ROOT.war
22-Aug-2005 11:14:02 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig applicationWebConfig
INFO: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[]

Could the fact that my ROOT.war is 18MB have anything to do with Tomcat's ability to examine
for the web.xml??? (wild guess)

Thanks, Allistair.

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055