tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Corte <Thomas.Co...@knipp.de>
Subject Re: "No Host matches server name localhost" error
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:23:02 GMT
Hello,

Parsons Technical Services wrote:

> Now as for the issue, I am not sure that it is a bug but just a feature.
> Unless you can show where it does not meet the servlet specs then it
> will not be considered a bug.

Ok, and since the issue is actually documented, it cannot be called a
bug. Understood; no offense intended :-)

> I am not sure why this is causing such a problem. The only time a
> default context will ever be used is if the browser is using an IP
> instead of a URL or if you have a DNS entry that points to your IP with
> no matching application.
>
> So unless you are using only the IP or are directing multiple unmatched
> URLs at the server there is no issue. If you are, then knowing what the
> war is about is only a small piece of the puzzle that exist in the setup.

I may really be missing something here, but my impression was that a
host's default web application is used whenever a URL is requested that
does not match any other context's path prefix within the host -
regardless of the access being made by IP address or by domain name.
To me, this means that I *need* a default context if I want to see the
welcome page of my "foo" web application (within the host named
"www.foodomain.com") at "http://www.foodomain.com" and not at
"http://www.foodomain.com/foo", right?

If this is right, then I'd have to tamper with server.xml or name my
.war file "ROOT.war". I can live with the latter, but it feels somewhat
unclean. IMO, the same applies to setting up a minimal ROOT.war that
simply forwards to another context, since this will also cause an
unnecessary /foo prefix in every subsequent request URL.

--
Thomas Corte
<Thomas.Corte@knipp.de>