tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rob Hills" <...@netpaver.com.au>
Subject RE: Does Tomcat run better on Linux or Windows?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:21:07 GMT
Hi All,

On 30 Aug 2005 at 18:12, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

> > From: Brian Cook [mailto:bcook@printtime.com]
> > Subject: Re: Does Tomcat run better on Linux or Windows?
> >
> > The only thing that comes to mind is that you have to
> > reboot windows every time you need to make a change to
> > the CLASSPATH, JAVA_HOME, or TOMCAT_HOME variables
>
> That's simply not true. Opening up a new instance of the command prompt
> will pick up any modified or added environment variables.  (But don't
> construe this statement as an endorsement of Windows over Linux, by any
> means.)

That is correct, but many of us run Tomcat as a Service.  I've not yet
been able to find a way of changing environment variables in Windows
and have the OS pick up the changes and pass them to a service (no
matter how often you stop and start the service) without rebooting.

Cheers,

Rob Hills
MBBS, Grad Dip Com Stud, MACS
Senior Consultant