tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brian Cook <bc...@printtime.com>
Subject Re: Does Tomcat run better on Linux or Windows?
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:00:34 GMT

Wow this seem likely to start flame war.  Since it is written in Java
there is really not much of a difference.  The only thing that comes to
mind is that you have to reboot windows every time you need to make a
change to the CLASSPATH, JAVA_HOME, or TOMCAT_HOME variables which can
be a pain.

I will also throw in that it is my personal option(NOTE: For any
extremists on the list I said my option.  Not an absolute fact.  Just
one guys experience) that you spend a lot less time maintaining Linux.

This is mainly because Linux is so modular that you can uninstall
everything but the parts you want.  So the only things I have to keep up
with and patch are the Kernel, MySQL, Apache, and Tomcat.  No GUI, no
extra services, etc.