tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brian Cook <bc...@printtime.com>
Subject Re: jndi question
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:46:07 GMT
Sean,

Where the files you deleted in WEB-INF/lib or commons/lib?  You should
have naming-factory.jar and naming-resources.jar in common/lib/.  Or
somewhere in the class path.

WEB-INF/lib is just another location in the class path you can add extra
packages your apps may need access to.  Libraries placed there will be
loaded first when multiple instances of the same packages occurs.  i.e.
if you have say naming-factory.jar in both /commons/lib and WEB-INF/lib
it will load the package in WEB-INF/lib/.

The other thing that is significant about WEB-INF/lib/ is that Tomcat
will load an instants of every package in it for each web app.  So for
example if you have 5 web apps that all use mysql-connector.jar.  And
you put mysql-connector.jar in WEB-INF/lib/ for all of those apps Tomcat
will load 5 instances of mysql-connector.jar.  Where as if you put it in
commons/lib/ it will only load one instance saving you RAM.

I put a copy of any third party package my web apps call.  I do this
because I want them to be completely portable.  That way if I copy them
to anther server I do not have to worry about what packages I may have
forgotten to add to commons/lib/.  The result is I have fewer deployment
problems but I am using more RAM than I absolutely need to.

A typical app for me will have the following in WEB-INF/lib

mysql-connector-java-3.1.7-bin.jar
commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar
commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
commons-httpclient-2.0.2.jar
commons-pool-1.2.jar
commons-collections-3.1.jar
itext-1.3.jar
itext-xml-1.00.jar

Looking though your stack trace it looks like you have a JSP page called
test.jsp calling com.transcriptionportal.utils.DBManager.init().  And
that there is a package there that uses the
org.apache.naming.NamingContext class.  I am assuming that this is where
you can calling the pooled connection and Tomcat needs one of those two
  JAR's to do the JNDI call.

Sean Rowe wrote:
> [...]
>> I found several postings that mentioned they fixed it by removing the
>> following files from their deployments.
>>
>> http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=647982&tstart=105
>>
>> naming-common.jar,
>> naming-java.jar,
>> naming-resources.jar,
>> naming-factory.jar
>>
>> Are these by chance in your WEB-INF folder somewhere?  Or any where in
>> your Tomcat install?  I checked they are not in mine and I have :
>>

>> naming-factory.jar
>> naming-resources.jar
>>
>> in Tomcat/common/lib/
>>
>> If you see these files any where else try deleting them.  Other than
>> that my only idea would be to try using Tomcat 5.5.
>>
>> Sean Rowe wrote:
>>
>>> I have tried again using the method described in the url brian gave.
>>> Here is the stack exception I'm receiving:
>>>
>>> *type* Exception report
>>>
>>> *message*
>>>
>>> *description* _The server encountered an internal error () that
>>> prevented it from fulfilling this request._
>>>
>>> *exception*
>>>
>>> javax.servlet.ServletException: Name java:comp is not bound in this
>>> Context
>>>
>>> org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:848)
>>>

>>> org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:781)
>>>
>>>     org.apache.jsp.test_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.test_jsp:69)
>>>     org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
>>>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>>>
>>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:322)
>>>

>>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
>>>     org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
>>>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>>>
>>> *root cause*
>>>
>>> javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name java:comp is not bound in
>>> this Context
>>>     org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:769)
>>>     org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:152)
>>>     javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:351)
>>>     com.transcriptionportal.utils.DBManager.init(DBManager.java:25)
>>>     org.apache.jsp.test_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.test_jsp:53)
>>>     org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
>>>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>>>
>>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:322)
>>>

>>> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
>>>     org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
>>>     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>>>

>>> I have enclosed my server.xml, web.xml, context.xml (that i placed in
>>> my web/META-INF folder), and the class I'm using to make the
>>> connection.  Thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far.

>>> import javax.sql.*;
>>> import java.sql.*;
>>> import java.util.*;
>>> import org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory;
>>> import org.apache.commons.collections.*;
> [...]
>>>               type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
>>>        description="User database that can be updated and saved"
>>>            factory="org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory"
>>>           pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
>>>
>>>   </GlobalNamingResources>
>>>
>>>   <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that
>>> share
>>>        a single "Container" (and therefore the web applications visible
>>>        within that Container).  Normally, that Container is an "Engine",
>>>        but this is not required.
>>>
>>>        Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
>>>        define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
>>>    -->
>>>
>>>   <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
>>>   <Service name="Catalina">
>>>
>>>     <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are
>>> received
>>>          and responses are returned.  Each Connector passes requests
>>> on to the
>>>          associated "Container" (normally an Engine) for processing.
>>>
>>>          By default, a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector is established on
>>> port 8080.
>>>          You can also enable an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 by
>>>          following the instructions below and uncommenting the second
>>> Connector
>>>          entry.  SSL support requires the following steps (see the
>>> SSL Config
>>>          HOWTO in the Tomcat 5 documentation bundle for more detailed
>>>          instructions):
>>>          * If your JDK version 1.3 or prior, download and install
>>> JSSE 1.0.2 or
>>>            later, and put the JAR files into "$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext".
>>>          * Execute:
>>>              %JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg
>>> RSA (Windows)
>>>              $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg
>>> RSA  (Unix)
>>>            with a password value of "changeit" for both the
>>> certificate and
>>>            the keystore itself.
>>>
>>>          By default, DNS lookups are enabled when a web application
>>> calls
>>>          request.getRemoteHost().  This can have an adverse impact on
>>>          performance, so you can disable it by setting the
>>>          "enableLookups" attribute to "false".  When DNS lookups are
>>> disabled,
>>>          request.getRemoteHost() will return the String version of the
>>>          IP address of the remote client.
>>>     -->
>>>
>>>     <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
>>>     <Connector port="8080" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>>>                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
>>> maxSpareThreads="75"
>>>                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
>>> acceptCount="100"
>>>                connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
>>>     <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set connectionTimeout
>>> value
>>>      to 0 -->
>>>         <!-- Note : To use gzip compression you could set the
>>> noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata"