tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Wood <flash...@relivethefuture.com>
Subject Re: Unable to access application if I am on VPN
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:00:32 GMT
I think its a basically a DNS / route problem, triggered by the search
for a DTD within struts (i think its struts, but dont hold me to that)

When you connect to your VPN there is no route to jakarta.apache.org

as the error says :

java.net.UnknownHostException: jakarta.apache.org

At a guess, when you connect to your office VPN you cant browse the web
properly either?

Im guessing that you are using a PPTP VPN connection within windows.

You have a few choices that i can think of

1: Get DNS working via your VPN connection

How you go about this depends on what your VPN server is, and if your
work will allow traffic through the VPN and back out into the web at
their end.

2: Hope that you can do split-tunneling with your VPN client / setup

this has some more information on the issue

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Security/Firewalls/Q_21246171.html

3: Prevent the lookup for the DTD from struts.

I dont know how you would go about this because i dont know struts at all.

if anyone else has any ideas id like to hear them.

thanks

Martin