tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mott Leroy <m...@acadaca.com>
Subject session problems when using mod_jk (1.2.14) load balancing
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:31:30 GMT
Hi -

I'm unable to get mod_jk load balancing working. The usual mod_jk setup
works just fine, but using a load balancing worker however, is not.
[Oddly, my webserver crashed during testing of this, but that could very
well be unrelated]

The problem is with user sessions. The instances (nodes) do not seem to
recognize an already established session with the user and are creating
new sessions. It's possible that is a "session-stickiness" issue, but it
appears like the requests are hitting the same instance, just not
getting the previously established session. As a result, I can't even
reliably login to my application.

I created a session listener for debugging purposes and it reports -no-
destroyed sessions, but plenty of newly created sessions on both
instances that make up the "cluster". The session IDs, I noticed, have
the jvmRoute name attached to them, which should be a good sign.

I have a webserver running Apache (1.3.33), mod_jk (1.2.14), and an
application server running the "cluster" -- 2 instances tomcat (5.0.28)
on different ports.

I added a unique jvmRoute to both instances in the server.xml:
<Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="dev_alexis">
<Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="noah_alexis">

My worker.properties loadbalancer settings:

worker.list=load_balancer_test

worker.load_balancer_test.type=lb
worker.load_balancer_test.balance_workers=bl_worker_dev,bl_worker_noah
worker.load_balancer_test.sticky_session=true
worker.load_balancer_test.sticky_session_force=false

worker.bl_worker_dev.type=ajp13
worker.bl_worker_dev.host=alexis
worker.bl_worker_dev.port=9003
worker.bl_worker_dev.lbfactor=1
worker.bl_worker_dev.socket_keepalive=1
worker.bl_worker_dev.recycle_timeout=300

worker.bl_worker_noah.type=ajp13
worker.bl_worker_noah.host=alexis
worker.bl_worker_noah.port=8063
worker.bl_worker_noah.lbfactor=3
worker.bl_worker_noah.socket_keepalive=1
worker.bl_worker_noah.recycle_timeout=300

Any ideas, things I could try would be much appreciated.