tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Radek Wierzbicki <rw...@2wbros.org>
Subject Re: Advice for Hosting Many Individual Webapps?
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:52:52 GMT
Hi,

I very often deploy client's applications in multiple tomcat instances.
It is normal and each application does not affect another. You just need
a strong multiprocessor server with a lot of memory to sustain the last
:) The only difference is that I often configure a separate apache
instance for each tomcat instance. But one apache is also fine.

I find this setup very comfortable when it comes to updating the
application code or just restarting an application. Also, when one
tomcat crashes, others run just fine.

A tip here is to write/rewrite startup script so that it handles
multiple instances of tomcat. It is also a good idea to create an
environment profile file for each instance where you define stuff like
JAVA_HOME or JAVA_OPTS for each instance separatelly and store it with
the configuration. The development expense may be unneccessary if you
only have one setup like that.

I hope you are using the $CATALINA_HOME and $CATALINA_BASE variables to
separate binaries from runtime/configuration files of each instance and
you're not copying the whole tomcat tree.

Think about file and process ownerships when web applications belong to
different owners.

If you want to ensure reliability then clone the machine and put a
redirector in front of both. It scales very well and the user impact in
case of trouble is not 100%.

--Radek W.