tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Edmund Urbani <...@liland.org>
Subject Re: can I prevent DoS (Denial of Service) Attacks in JSP?
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 15:04:34 GMT
Larry Meadors wrote:

>Hmm, that is like asking how to avoid automobile accidents.
>
>Larry
>

>On 8/2/05, Ben Bookey <brgbookey@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Dear List,
>>
>>I have been asked if its possible to prevent DoS attacks inside Java
>>(JSP/Servlet).
>>
>>I guess it is ... is this something however that TC would be configured to
>>deal with, or
>>must I do something myself. Whats normal ?
>>
>>Many thanks in advance!
>>Best wishes
>>Ben Bookey

i guess one could attempt to write a filter that rejects requests that
*look like* they are part of a DoS attack, but there's always the risk
of eliminating legitimate traffic with this. and it probably won't help
at all if the attacker found a "weak spot" specific to your web application.

 Edmund

BTW don't forget to fasten your seatbelt.