tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Purcell" <spurc...@vertisinc.com>
Subject Database Pooling
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:08:12 GMT
Hello,

To start off with, I hand rolled a database pooling class to handle database pooling for a
ecommerce site I am writing. The application is web-based so of course I am using Tomcat 5.5
and all was going well. But in my implementation, I occasionally get errors when the connection
has not been used for a long period of time. Basically mysql or tomcat may be taking themselves
out of service and I get some java.net errors through Tomcat.

Anyway, I got frustrated and began to look through some on-line docs in regards to Tomcat
and DatabasePooling.

Which leads me to my question:
Is pooling build-in to Tomcat 5.5?
If so, how simple is this to implement (I have read here: <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html>
but I an not familiar with JNDI.
And if it does it take care of shutting down the pool when the server gets reloaded or gets
unloaded?

Currently my pooling solution is huge, with threads to monitor if they are closed, etc. I
figure there has to be a better implementation, or solution for myself in this regards

Could anyone please help out with some sample, or explanation of how this all fits together.

I have created business objects, so I just need to call the database from business objects,
not directly from tomcat.

Thanks,
Scott