tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "George Sexton" <gsex...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject RE: HTTP/1.1 GZIP compression and its impact on server
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:44:42 GMT
Yes. In my particular case, the server throughput in requests fell by 2.3%.

Of course, the bandwidth utilization fell also from 6Mb/s to 1.0Mb/s.

Additionally, you have to ask yourself how much more responsive the
application will seem to users. We host our web calendar application, and we
run compression on it.

Actually, at the co-location site we are moving to, we pay for bandwidth
usage. It's probably going to be cheaper to put another machine in than to
use 6 times more bandwidth.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/