tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <>
Subject Re: "No Host matches server name localhost" error
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:11:37 GMT
First, let me clarify that I am only a user of Tomcat and was simply
pointing out the part of the documentation.

Now as for the issue, I am not sure that it is a bug but just a feature.
Unless you can show where it does not meet the servlet specs then it will
not be considered a bug.

I am not sure why this is causing such a problem. The only time a default
context will ever be used is if the browser is using an IP instead of a URL
or if you have a DNS entry that points to your IP with no matching

So unless you are using only the IP or are directing multiple unmatched URLs
at the server there is no issue. If you are, then knowing what the war is
about is only a small piece of the puzzle that exist in the setup.

Just my understanding of the setup. Feel free to enlighten me if you think I
am off base.

Every aspect of a program is considered a feature. No matter how good or bad
one may think it is. It only become a bug when it breaks a rule. Either the
programmers rule, a system rule or a specification rule.

If a feature that was considered bad by some could be classed as a bug, then
90% of the code written in the world would be bugs because somewhere there
is someone who doesn't like it.