tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Anoop kumar V <anoopkum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error 500 messages
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:31:44 GMT
It might be easier than you think to output the error right onto the
page itself.

But would it help if you see the errors (+ other things) on the tomcat
console?? It will certainly help in your debugging.....

To do that edit the server.xml in the conf directory and remove lines
similar to this:

        prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"
        timestamp="true"/>

The only problem I have seen when I do this is that a lot of
information prints out on to the console and makes it cluttered - but
my hope is that when you get an error/exception you will be able to
notice it in the console amidst all the other debugging info..... Also
ensure that the debug has the value 0 in the host tag. This will
reduce the amount of debugging info.

Another point I wish to make is that when there is an error tomcat
just writes one file.... I am not sure which files you mention that
tomcat writes....

The easiest thing I do and it works too is that - everything is
outputted into my one output file catalina.out and I use "tail -f
catalina.out" to see what is going on - of course this works only on
*nix servers (pity windows!!)...

HTH,
Anoop

--