tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Anoop kumar V <anoopkum...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Application Level Classpath Setting
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:57:06 GMT
AFAIK - Tomcat does not care about the system classpath. It picks up
its classpath from catalina.sh ->setclasspath.sh (TC 4.x)

In TC 5.x (this too FYI does not care abt the system classpath, but)
you can modify the following lines in catalina.properties file under
the conf dir ...

<SNIP>
#
#
# List of comma-separated paths defining the contents of the "common"
# classloader. Prefixes should be used to define what is the repository type.
# Path may be relative to the CATALINA_HOME or CATALINA_BASE path or absolute.
# If left as blank,the JVM system loader will be used as Catalina's "common"
# loader.
# Examples:
#     "foo": Add this folder as a class repository
#     "foo/*.jar": Add all the JARs of the specified folder as class
#                  repositories
#     "foo/bar.jar": Add bar.jar as a class repository
common.loader=${catalina.home}/common/classes,${catalina.home}/common/i18n/*.jar,${catalina.home}/common/endorsed/*.jar,${catalina.home}/common/lib/*.jar

#
# List of comma-separated paths defining the contents of the "server"
# classloader. Prefixes should be used to define what is the repository type.
# Path may be relative to the CATALINA_HOME or CATALINA_BASE path or absolute.
# If left as blank, the "common" loader will be used as Catalina's "server"
# loader.
# Examples:
#     "foo": Add this folder as a class repository
#     "foo/*.jar": Add all the JARs of the specified folder as class
#                  repositories
#     "foo/bar.jar": Add bar.jar as a class repository
server.loader=${catalina.home}/server/classes,${catalina.home}/server/lib/*.jar

#
# List of comma-separated paths defining the contents of the "shared"
# classloader. Prefixes should be used to define what is the repository type.
# Path may be relative to the CATALINA_BASE path or absolute. If left as blank,
# the "common" loader will be used as Catalina's "shared" loader.
# Examples:
#     "foo": Add this folder as a class repository
#     "foo/*.jar": Add all the JARs of the specified folder as class
#                  repositories
#     "foo/bar.jar": Add bar.jar as a class repository
shared.loader=${catalina.base}/shared/classes,${catalina.base}/shared/lib/*.jar

</SNIP>

HTH,
Anoop

On 7/1/05, Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowther@melandra.com> wrote:
> > From: Srinivas Ivaturi [mailto:srinivas.ivaturi@ssaglobal.com]
> > It is not that it wont work , It is by design.
>
> OK.  So, to summarise:
>
> - You have a set of jars that is too large to name on the classpath in
> Windows;
>
> - The jars are required for one webapp only, not for the whole of Tomcat
> (so one could argue that a classpath-based solution is a poor solution
> as it might interfere with other webapps deployed in the same
> container);
>
> - The jars would work if placed in the webapp's lib directory.
>
> You don't wish to place the jars into the webapp's lib directory "by
> design", which prevents a simple solution that would apparently work.
> If it doesn't work, I can't help much more unless you can give some more
> information about why it doesn't work or why you'd prefer not to do
> this.
>
> I'm not aware of another solution that would work without amending the
> Tomcat source and recompiling.  I don't think you can extend the
> classpath in conf/server.xml or in web.xml (although I could be wrong;
> this is from a fairly quick check).  So the only alternative I can think
> of is to deploy an entire custom version of Tomcat.
>
> Anyone else?
>
>                 - Peter

Thanks and best regards,
Anoop