tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adile Abbadi <ad...@minitdrugs.com>
Subject RE: Error 500 messages
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:09:58 GMT
Hi Anoop thanx for your help - first in regards to the file that the log is
writing to I'm referring to a log file I created for my context in the XML
supporting that context using the FileLogger (similar to as you have below).

Now I did a little more experimenting and discovered something interesting -
as I said I can get an exception to be thrown to the page in a simple JSP
file (I made it do a null pointer for example) and I can get it do pretty
any other exception as well. Now what I did is I took one my more
complicated JSP pages, made a copy and made a few changes to force some
exceptions - now here is the weird thing - some exceptions are thrown to the
screen and some are not.

For example I had a ResultSet DB object and I made a syntax error and I got
an Error 500 screen to come up as follows (note I took out the extra stuff
to shorten the email)

/var/lib/tomcat4/work/Standalone/localhost/podims/mod_pat_test_jsp.java:118:
')' expected
	while(SQLR.next() {

I also got it do a null pointer exception:

org.apache.jasper.JasperException

Root Cause
java.lang.NullPointerException

However I tried to get it to do a syntax error in the query - and I end up
with a blank page. The catalina log shows nothing, but my context log shows
the following (clown is the word I used to screw up the query)

javax.servlet.ServletException: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CLOWN" at
character 260

--Root Cause--
java.sql.SQLException: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "CLOWN" at character
260

Its almost as it the page refuses to compile with this error.

Any ideas - is it a configuration thing?

Thanx

Adile