tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Alan Chandler" <a...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>
Subject Re: apache and tomcat
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:59:07 GMT
ganesan malairaja writes:

> hi guys ..
>
> i am confused now...... i need help undeerstanding apache and tomcat ..
>
> what purpose each serve and how to link both them ...

Apache is a web server - with lots of usage and good experience with in
terms of security facing the internet.  You can get modules for it to run
scripting languages (for instance php), but it doesn't run java
applications.

Tomcat is primarily an engine for running web based applications in java,
but it also has the ability to serve static html.  In this latter process it
does not have the security background of apache - so whilst it could be used
as a web server and an application server, it is normal to separate the two
(the web server may run in the dmz, the application server may run behind a
second firewall).

In order to link the two, you need to set up the mod_jk module.

> i want to know how to link html and applets   in tomcat htdoc folder to
> jsp codes in tomcat webapps folder ..

It is possible (if the two servers are running on the same machine) to map
the apache <location> around the tomcat <directory> via an alias statement

(I think there is a mod_jk directive - something like jkautoalias that does
the same thing)

 --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk